ANSWER ME 1997

Okay so I wrote about this drama right after it first aired and I had only watched like the first two episodes. At the beginning I wasn't to sure whether I would like it or not. I started watching it basically on a trial basis. After I was on about the 4th episode though, I kind of started to get a little tiny bit obsessed...... I had completely and utterly fallen in love with this show by the 6th episode!!! Waiting for new episodes each week was one of the hardest things I have ever experienced!!! I literally would jump up and down  and run into my room shrieking when I saw that a new episode had been posted. Yeah, I really did. I  promised myself while it was airing that I had to write a post on this show after the finale aired. Well...... IT IS OVER!!!! and IT WAS AWESOME!!! I almost had a panic attack during each of the last 4 episodes because I was so excited. I started this drama not knowing if everything would turn out how I wanted it to in the end(witch is a huge risk believe me). But this drama unlike others(aka. BIG) did not let me down! To the very end it was funny and darling and true to exactly what you wanted it to be. No crazy twists, No evil meddling parents, No crazy love rectangles, No insane secondary characters, over all quite contrary to the general K-drama cliche. It was original, fresh and unique. A big breath of fresh air compared to the hundreds  of dramas out there with insanely similar plot lines. I LOVED IT!!! I am planning to watch it again in the very near future. So good ^_^

    Now that I've given my highly biased opinion of this drama, the following will be a quick summery of the main plot, theme, and characters..... beware there will be some spoilers.....
 Answer Me 1996 is undoubtedly a story of  "First Love". First loves are a reoccurring  theme in k-dramas but this drama take a unique twist on the classic subject. There are several primary characters in this drama but the two that stand out the most as the "main" characters are Sung Shi Won and Yoon Yoon Jae. The drama is based on a group of six friends and the ups and downs of their high-school days, and on into  their complicated adulthood.  The setting of this dram is one of it's most unique features. Like the title suggest it is set  in the 1990's. This setting brings a very interesting aspect to viewers who grew up in the 90's themselves but also caters to the younger generation because it highlights the same things teens experience today.  Shi Won and Yoon Jae's relationship is the brightest highlight of this drama. After growing up together practically in the same household their whole lives Yoon Jae and Shi Won are best friend. The trouble begins when Yoon Jae begins to see Shi Won as more than just a best friend/sister. Unable to express his feelings the two continues on as just friends. Until... one day he discovers that he is not the only one in his family that has fallen for Shi Won. When he learns of his older brothers intent to ask Shi Won to be his girlfriend he painfully puts aside his feelings, and gives his brother a chance. Shi Won knowing nothing of Yoon Jae's feelings begins dating Yoon Dae Woong his older brother. But as their relationship progresses Yoon Jae finds that he can no longer simply play the part of brother and best friend. Tension mounts causing Shi Won and Yoon Jae's friendship to wither. Shi Won herself is not satisfied in her relationship with  Dae Woong and longs for her old friendship with Yoon Jae. Finally Yoon Jae confesses his love, but also proclaims that he never wants to see Shi Won ever again! DUN, DUN, DUN!! You will just have to watch it to see how the rest of the story pans out.^-^
 In addition to the main story of Shi Won and Yoon Jae, this drama also features many side stories of the secondary characters. Another two of the six friends Yoo Jung and Hak Chan experience their very own
"first love" story. Witch is filled with many cringeingly cute moments that will have you falling in love with this couple as well. Kang Joon Hee and Bang Sung Jae ,who have their own individual stories, make up the rest of the six besties. Also a big part of this drama is Shi Won's parents. Her parents are constantly in the middle some kind of fight or misunderstanding. They often serve as a humorous barrier between all the teen aged dramaticness and give the drama a light feel even in the most intense episodes. This drama is by all means a Comedy. Although many k-dramas classified under this genre have you laughing at first and wallowing in tears by the end, this drama is actually funny all the way through!
My summery of this drama is shameful in comparison to the drama itself,  But if I've sparked your interest at all go watch Answer Me 1997 for yourself!!!! I know you will love it as much as I do!!!

Keep dreaming....
                            love,
                                    hartley

P.S. you can watch AnswerMe1997 at DramaFever.com for free!

Comments